- 2 Lb pork belly
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2, 1/4 inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 pepper corns, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp dwenjang (Korean soy bean paste)
- 1 tbsp cheong joo (sake)
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp Saewoojeot (salted small shrimp)*
(* Saewoojeot is the small salted shrimp. It is very salty, so just put one or two shrimps on the meat and eat. Salted shrimp goes well with pork and helps to digest the meat. It is often used to make Kimchi as a substitute for salt.)
- Ssam jang: 4 tbsp dwen jang (Korean bean paste), 1 tbsp gochoojang (Korean chili paste)
- 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp sesame seed
Cut the meat into 2-3 inches in lengthwise. In a pot, add pork and cover with cold water. Add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, let simmer for about an hour or an hour and a half. Take out the meat and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice very thinly.
Serve with Ssam jang and Saewoojeot.